Episode 2 - Leading with Values w/ Jamie Williamson
In this episode, Jamie Williamson, Head of School at The Windward School, shares his experiences as an educator and leader. He calls for creating educational environments that centralize in advocating for the overall development of the child and that remain laser focused in providing instruction using empirically validated research and data. As a leader, Jamie discusses the importance of values and creating a school community where all students, families, teachers, and leaders thrive.
“[All educators] need to provide a place where we are educating children by using methods that are empirically validated, and we are providing children with a safe place to learn.”
Top READ Bookmarks
Host Danielle Scorrano's top highlighted takeaways from this episode.
- Through working with educators and parents to support our students, leaders need to integrate:
- A research-based framework that translates into best instructional practices implemented with fidelity
- A clear vision of how we problem solve to support individual student progress
- A consideration for the multidimensionality of individual students
- A collaborative mindset
As schools implement instructional programs, it is imperative they are applying the research-based, validated methods with fidelity to promote better reading and academic outcomes. Validated research demonstrates effective methods for teaching children, yet without guidance, teachers may often implement “what feels right” without understanding the foundational underpinnings of the work or resources.
"[At Windward] we have an opportunity and obligation to leverage expertise to move the needle on reading, academics, and what it means to be a good school."
3. Values are integral for establishing school culture and ensuring all students are seen, valued, and heard. These values include clarity of mission, commitment to fidelity, and collaborative trust, which always circles back focus on the child’s development.
“Our kids are inspiring individuals… it is hard to have a bad day in a work environment where you have kids showing up and are willing to do the hard work that is difficult for them.”
Mr. Williamson's Road to Windward - The Compass Feature Story
Or, download READ Podcast using your favorite podcast platform with direct links below:
TIP: In your podcast player, search for 'READ: The Research Education and ADvocacy podcast.' The show may not appear if you only type in READ.
READ Podcast is produced by The Windward School and The Windward Institute. READ is hosted by Danielle Scorrano.
About READ: READ, the Research Education ADvocacy Podcast connects you with prominent researchers, thought leaders, and educators who share their work, insights, and expertise about current research and best practices in fields of education and child development.
Note: All information and insights shared demonstrate the expertise and views of our guests.