Robert J. Schwartz Memorial Lecture
Please join us virtually for the 2023 Robert J. Schwartz Memorial Lecture
Exploring Whole Child Approaches to the Identification and Support of Children with Dyslexia with featured speaker Yaacov Petscher, PhD
Tuesday, April 18, 2023
7 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. ET
Addressing and supporting the needs of children with dyslexia requires integrated, comprehensive approaches at the family, school, and community levels. Due to the disproportionate burden placed on schools to identify and remediate students with dyslexia, whole child approaches to assessment, identification, and intervention are critical.
In this lecture, Yaacov Petscher, PhD, will discuss:
- reading development through a lens of whole child approaches and principles, which include the malleability and variability of child development based on social environments and experiences,
- the ways in which adversity impacts learning, and
- the integration of learning across social, emotional, and academic factors.
Dr. Petscher will present an exploration of current research on the risk and protective factors associated with dyslexia and offer implications for assessment and interventions.
About Featured Lecturer Yaacov Petscher, PhD
Yaacov Petscher, PhD is Professor of Social Work, Associate Director of the Florida Center for Reading Research at Florida State University, and Deputy Director of the National Center on Improving Literacy. His research interests include screening and identification, translational science, and the intersection among the science of reading, quantitative methods, and technology for building tools to support reading development.
His work with collaborators has been recognized with awards from the Society for the Scientific Study of Reading, International Literacy Association, American Education Research Association, MIT Solve Challenge, and the Florida Educational Research Association among others. His current research concerns the early identification of reading disabilities and the role of trauma in reading and language development.
About The ROBERT J. SCHWARTZ MEMORIAL LECTURE
The annual Robert J. Schwartz Memorial Lecture was established by Ms. Gail Ross in memory of her husband, Mr. Robert J. Schwartz, a compassionate and dedicated former member of the Board of Trustees who passed away in 1997. The lecture in his memory seeks to bring experts in the field of reading and reading disabilities to the School each spring. If you are interested in receiving updates about lectures, please sign up for our mailing list here.
Past Robert J. Schwartz Memorial Lectures
- April 2022: Emily J. Solari, PhD
- April 2021: Dr. Hugh Catts
- April 2020 - Canceled
- April 2019: Dr. Richard Aslin
- April 2018: Dr. Laurie E. Cutting
- April 2017: Dr. Guinevere Eden
- April 2016: Dr. Fumiko Hoeft
- April 2015: Dr. John D. E. Gabrieli
- April 2014: Dr. Gordon Sherman
- April 2013: Dr. Maryanne Wolf
- April 2011: Dr. Kenneth Pugh