- Reading and Language Skills
NEW! The Language of Comprehension Monitoring
Date: Tuesday, May 2, 2023
Time: 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Instructor: Lydia H. Soifer, PhD
Grades: 2 – 6
Audience Codes: A/E/ SoR
Why this workshop:
Monitoring student comprehension is about more than assessing understanding. Strong readers monitor their comprehension as they read, and these skills can be explicitly taught. Effective questioning is central to planning lessons at any grade level to support student comprehension, elevate language discourse in the classroom, and develop more engaged, independent readers.
Key Learning Objectives:
- Identify categories of comprehension and questioning techniques to bolster skills in each area
- Promote active reading strategies by setting a purpose for reading
- Plan effective questions for monitoring comprehension and facilitating classroom discourse based on varied narrative and expository text demands
- Integrate variations in student response patterns to maximize student engagement
- Apply a gradual-release framework to facilitate self-monitoring
- WI Virtual