- Reading and Language Skills
NEW! Scaffolding for Student Success
Date: Wednesday, May 10, 2023
Time: 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Instructor: Lydia H. Soifer, PhD
Grades: 2 – 6
Audience Codes: A/E/ SoR
Why this workshop
During the learning process, all students will inevitably face challenges when mastering new concepts and skills, regardless of their learning needs and profiles. Scaffolding is a highly effective and precise instructional technique to deepen learning, promote mastery, and support the development of language skills.
Key Learning Objectives:
- Pre-plan scaffolded questions across the content areas using specific examples in texts including low and high support prompts
- Model complex language and elaborate on student responses through recasting, sentence starters, and other grammatical techniques
- Pre-teach content to build vocabulary and background knowledge
- Promote successful classroom discussion with follow-up questions and effective correct feedback
- WI Virtual