- Writing Skills
Instructors: Sarah Golden, MS Ed & Sarah Nordgren, MS Ed
Date: Wednesday, November 30, 2022, 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Increasing demands in expository reading comprehension and writing in the elementary grades call upon students to comprehend, organize, and respond to highly complex and often technical text.
In this workshop, Sarah Golden, MS Ed, Language Arts Coordinator at The Windward School, and Sarah Nordgren, MA, Windward lower school teacher, will guide teachers of grades 1 – 5 through the process of planning and teaching an expository reading and writing lesson. Participants will transform expository text into an enriching, multisensory lesson by
- analyzing a nonfiction article;
- identifying key vocabulary terms to support student comprehension;
- developing a graphic organizer;
- activating and building student background knowledge;
- generating discussion questions to enrich comprehension and support student language development;
- integrating structured summary activities using sentence strategies from The Windward School’s Expository Writing Program.
Interactive opportunities for practice and collaboration with other participants will enable teachers to leave the course equipped to implement these strategies in their classrooms across English Language Arts as well as other content areas.
- WI Virtual