Message from the Coordinator of Diversity
At The Windward School, we believe that in order to fully achieve the goal of educating children with language-based learning disabilities, the experience of academic success must be “combined with opportunities for social and emotional growth within an intentionally diverse and inclusive setting.” Students at Windward are prepared for responsible citizenship in an increasingly diverse and interdependent world. We follow three guidelines in our community:
- At The Windward School, we treat all people with decency and respect.
- At The Windward School, we respect and value diversity in all of its forms.
- At The Windward School, we do not blame or shame ourselves or others, especially when we disagree.
Windward expands a student’s ability to function in a pluralistic society by teaching self-awareness while encouraging genuine respect and appreciation for people. To that end, we are committed to creating and fostering a community that is inclusive for all its members regardless of race, ethnicity, ability, socio-economic status, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, or any other attribute that does not define a person’s character. We are dedicated to maintaining a sense of community for all people and for those individuals in particular who have struggled historically to be wholly accepted into society.
The Windward School strives to increase diversity in its program and partnerships, its student body, its parent body, and its faculty and staff. In order to meet these endeavors, this office works to do the following:
- facilitate a school-wide curriculum that helps build cross-cultural understanding and appreciation for diverse populations;
- conduct administrative searches for diverse faculty and staff who will give our students a multicultural perspective that reflects today’s global society and will prepare and inspire the next generation of leaders;
- involve communities in and around the Tri-State Area to increase their knowledge of The Windward School's proven instructional program and identify potential students from diverse backgrounds for our school.
We are aware that achieving diversity and all that it encompasses is not always an easy task; however, the rewards are immeasurable for all members of the community. The Windward School’s on-going commitment to diversity and inclusion informs the School’s daily work, helps to shape the community, and guides the vision for the future.
I invite you to learn more about The Windward School and our active commitment to promoting an environment in which differences and commonalities are celebrated!