**This a per diem (sub nurse) role. This would be as a backup if one of our staff school nurses is out and we need coverage.**
The School is an independent, coeducational day school dedicated to providing an excellent instructional program for children with language-based learning disabilities. The multisensory curriculum is designed for students of average to superior intelligence who can benefit from the unique educational experience provided. Through direct instruction in small class settings, a trained staff assists students to improve their language skills. Academic success, combined with opportunities for social and emotional growth, enables students to understand their learning styles, build confidence, and develop self-advocacy skills. Windward is committed to helping students achieve their full potential in preparation for a successful return to the mainstream educational environment. To meet these goals, the School provides ongoing training to its faculty based on the most current research and also shares its expertise with the parent body, other educators, and the broader community.
A world where every child with a language-based learning disability is empowered to achieve unlimited success.
The per diem school Nurse will provide back up for the School Nurse team and will be assigned to one of our campuses (Westchester or upper Manhattan) depending on the need. This role is under the direction of the Director of Health, Physical Education and Athletics. We will interview all qualified applicants to build a per diem "call list."
Duties & Responsibilities
- Administer medications and treatments per physician orders
- Administer first aid and provide emergency & preventive care to students and staff. First point of contact for any accident/injury that occurs on campus.
- Identify and assess student health needs, implementing services and evaluating plans of care to boost student learning and achieve optimum safety.
- Identify and report building safety or environmental issues which may impact student or staff health to the Division Head.
- Act as liaison between home, school, and community providers for medical issues, discussing with administration when appropriate.
- Must be a NYS licensed registered professional nurse
- Current CPR certification required
- Minimum of 3 years of nursing experience in a school, pediatric or emergency room setting required.
- Must possess good judgement, tact and flexibility and must have the ability to multitask.
- Must maintain confidentiality at all times as this position is exposed to personal medical information.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint) preferred.