Timeline of Efforts
Read below about the ongoing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion efforts happening at The Windward School.
The work being done to complete Windward's three-year DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) plan is in motion, and we are engaging our entire community–our families, faculty, staff, and board members–to maximize our ability to get all community members' voices heard.
- (Completed December 2020) Appoint Windward parent/guardian, faculty, and staff members from every campus to a DIvE In committee which will be charged with facilitating our three-year DEI plan. This team of approximately 20 individuals will meet monthly.
- Engage with DEI expert, Dr. Gene Batiste, for a multi-year consulting commitment to
- (Completed) Administer listening sessions for families, employees, and board members to gather data on our community's expectations, hopes, and concerns with regards to Windward's DEI commitment.
- (In Progress) Produce a report using qualitative research for the school administration and board of trustees, which is essential to drive our work forward.
- (In Progress) Conduct baseline training for all Windward employees through four faculty and staff professional development sessions throughout the year. (These professional development sessions will become a standard training for all new employees to Windward moving forward.)
- Conduct training for Windward's Board of Trustees
- Expand recruitment efforts by building relationships with HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) employment offices and local university programs in order to further diversify faculty and staff populations
- (In Progress) Host DEI coffees, book clubs, guest lecturers, etc.
- Initiate partnership and research other organizations that will help to diversify student population
- Collect data on identifiers (racial, gender, etc.) of teachers, administrators, staff, and Board of Trustee members in order to set goals and measure progress